Saturday, October 8, 2011

Wk2 Publishing/Presentation Project Think-Out Loud Part 1 - To Speak or Not to Speak

As I think about whether I want to present my CBR project, or publish it, I can't help but be drawn to the allure and excitement of presenting it.  I'm not one to shy away from speaking in front of crowds, in fact I find it kind of fun.  And as a creative and a designer, I interested by the idea of coming up with a creative and unique way to present my information.  Ideas already flow through my head of ways to create an informative yet appealing presentation (infographic anyone?)  However, my preliminary search has not yielded great results.  I'm not particularly eager to travel far for this presentation, and would like to find something in Florida.  I'm also limited because my work and research was geared towards and used college level students, not K-12, and is very technology oriented.
My early research has pointed me to two main options, the Florida Educational Technology Conference and the Florida Council of Instructional Technology Leaders, both at the Orange County Convention Center.  FETC is very large and well-known, and some of the information I have found about it states that it is for all levels of education, including college.  On their website, however, it clearly states it is K-12, so I don't know if it's going to work out.  There is less information about FCITL and it's scheduled meeting, so I'm not even sure as of yet if it even qualifies.  Suffice to say, I need to do more looking into my presentation options.
As far publishing, that does interest me as well, because that has more of a feeling of being permanent, and being able to get out to a wider and more varied audience.  The trick is finding the right journal that both makes sense for the topic of my project, but also still remains open enough so that as many people as possible could come across it.  Early research has yielded three primary options: the Journal of Educational Technology & Society, the Journal of Computing in Higher Education, and the Journal of Technology and Teacher Education.  The common thing between these that most has my attention is that they are all technology geared.  This obviously plays into the subject of my research, so my next step will be to see which plays into my topic the best.  JETS may actually be a little too technology heavy, while JCHE and JTATE both open up more in the educational area.  I will most certainly be looking further into these options (and possibly others.)


So do I present or publish?  That is still undetermined, but as of now publish is looking like the more viable option.

2 comments:

  1. Kris,

    You have done a lot more research than I have. I am still trying to figure out what to do. I'm thinking publish mainly because my project is more for a community group. I think the technology part is in your favor no matter what you do. Meta-Data has many uses people don't think about or realize. I think you could go either way but presenting would be great, follow the dream if you really want to present then I would tell you to go for it.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... great choices and excellent dilemma of what to choose.

    ReplyDelete